General information on hiring student research assistants, postdoctoral fellows and other project personnel is available for download: Research Personnel - Employment and Awards. This document covers:
- Recruitment Assistance
- Suggested Pay Ranges
- Employer Costs
- Appointment/Payment Processing
See below for relevant forms.
Both graduate and undergraduate students may be hired as research assistants. Student research assistants are hired as employees of VIU and can be paid from your available research project budgets. The Centre for Experiential Learning provides advice and guidance in the hiring of all VIU students.
Postdoctoral fellows are covered under VIU institutional policy. Please refer to the latest policy and procedure for details. For additional information, please contact the Research Services Manager in the Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity (SRCA) Office.
Personnel, other than students, can be hired to work on research projects. There are special conditions that apply to these positions, so you will want to discuss details with the Research Services Manager in advance of making any commitments or appointments.
Forms and Resources
- Wage Costing Worksheet – all positions
- Research Appointment Matrix – all positions and payment scenarios
- Research Employment/Award Payment Request - employment or awards only
- Postdoctoral Fellow Draft Letter of Offer and Appointment Request - to be used in conjunction with Procedure 31.16.001
- Postdoctoral Fellow Draft Letter of Offer Extension Template
- Project Personnel – Letter of Offer Template
For general questions or to discuss special circumstances, please seek the advice of the Research Services Manager.
The information and forms contained on this page are subject to change without notice; therefore, it is recommended you bookmark this page and download the linked forms and resources as needed.