VIU Scholarship, Research, and Creative Activity

Financial Management

Congratulations on receiving funding for your research project!

Now that you have your funding, this page is designed to provide you with the information you need to manage spending during the project.

The ongoing disbursement of funds falls within the guidelines of VIU and the granting agency for the duration of the research grant. These guidelines, which form the Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide, include the proper authorization for all expenditures, including travel and equipment purchases.  While not all grants held at the institution are awarded through the Tri-Agencies, VIU subscribes to Tri-Agency guidelines, wherever possible, in the administration of research grants and contracts held at the institution.

If your funding is provided by NSERC:

An overview of the responsibilities and accountabilities of the granting agency, the institution and the grantee (researcher) can be found on the NSERC website. An overview of the use of grant funds is also available on the NSERC website.

If your funding is provided by SSHRC:

SSHRC maintains a similar webpage which specifically addresses use of their funds under the various programs and includes the links and timeline for reporting. 

If your funding is provided by CIHR:

CIHR maintains an Administration Guide which contains important information for researchers on the various programs, eligibility, and financial practices for grants.

Accessing Your Funding

You will receive notification from the Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity (SRCA) Office or via ROMEO about the forms grant holders must complete to allow for access to their funding. The grant holder's Dean will authorize the forms (Work Order Request and Signing Authority forms).  Completed forms are then returned to SRCA for review, final authorization and forwarding to Finance who activate the work order.

VIU has implemented a new Financial Information System (FIS).  Financial reports are currently not available at the work order level.  For information regarding your work order revenue and expenses contact SRCA.  Access on how to create a Purchase Requisition, Goods Receipt, Pcard changes, or Employee Expense see Employee Training Portal

Once financial reports are available training sessions in reading and interpreting the reports will be done as a group for internal grant holders and individually with new grant holders with external grants.  This session allows for grant holders to address specific financial concerns and questions.

SRCA in conjunction with Finance, will ensure residual funding for multi-year grants are deferred to the next fiscal year.  Grant holders and their faculty support personnel need not worry about this step.

Indirect Costs

Where warranted and applicable, VIU charges a minimal amount for indirect costs on research grants or contracts.  For more information on the indirect cost formula at VIU see instructions here.

Reporting Requirements for Granting Agency

Tri-Agency financial reporting requirements are the responsibility of Finance.  Financial reporting on other grants and contracts are the responsibility of the grant holder but must be reviewed by Finance prior to submission to the funder.  Narrative reports are the responsibility of the grant holder.

Information on Tri-Agency reporting and supporting documentation can be found here:  


Should overspending occur, the SRCA and Finance staff will work with the grant holder and their Dean to identify where additional funds can be found to offset the deficit.

Grant Expiration

Should the research not be completed at the time the grant or contract expires, the grant holder may be able to request an extension from the granting agency. SRCA staff review grants on a regular basis and will be aware of an approaching end date.  Most agencies only consider requests for no cost extension if the request is received prior to the end date of the project. 

Helpful Links

VIU Forms

Research Compliance (research involving human participants, animals or hazardous materials)