- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description)
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted
- No additional props (e.g. laser pointers, costumes, laboratory equipment or musical instruments) are permitted
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum. Judges are recommended to deduct marks from presentations that exceed 3 minutes.
- Presentations are to be spoken words (e.g. no poems, raps or songs)
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when the presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
To participate in VIU's 3MT you must currently be registered in a graduate program at VIU. Students must not have graduated prior to the date of the competition final (April 11, 2019).
Presentations must be based on research that is directly related to the student’s graduate program thesis. Research performed for employment should not be presented.
Presenters must be available to present, in person, on the day of their program heats. If chosen to move on to VIU's 3MT Finals, they must also be available to present, in person on April 11, 2019 from 6-7:30pm.
These will be the three areas you will be judged on:
- Effective use of non-verbal communication (i.e. eye contact, voice modulation, body language)
- Use of language that is clear, jargon-free and understandable to a general audience
- The presentation follows a logical sequence
- The presentation allows for adequate time for each element (not too rushed or to labored)