In order to achieve our commitment to serve the Island and Coastal region of BC, we need to provide opportunities for our employees and students to meet with community partners to learn about their initiatives, realities and needs.
The Community Partner Series is an initiative that aims to bring leaders from local organizations onto VIU campuses to share information about their initiatives and to explore opportunities for increased collaboration. This series is a collaborative effort of the Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity Office, University Relations and Student Affairs.
If you would like to bring a community partner to one of VIU’s campuses, please contact Tanis Dagert, Community Liaison and Knowledge Mobilization Officer at email@example.com to help coordinate and promote their visit.
Community Partner Series 2019: Learn, Discuss & Connect!
Leaders from local organizations share insights and information about their initiatives and explore opportunities for increased collaboration. Thursdays, 12 to 1pm, B305 Room 440 (Lounge).
Thursday Feb. 21, 12 to 1pm with Dr. Christian Lange, Virologist at MetaBiota: Making the World More Resilient to Infectious Diseases
Thursday March 14th, 12 to 1pm with April Ingham, Executive Director at Pacific People’s Partnership: Building Community Solidarity North-South Through Arts & Culture Programming
Thursday April 18th (tentative), 12 to 1pm with Holly Bright, Founder / Artistic Director, Crimson Coast Dance Society: Dance as Inspiration for Community Health
Past organizations / topics:
- Get Engaged with Local Community Stewardship Groups! With Pete Law - Mid-Vancouver Island Habitat Enhancement Society, Ceri Peacey - Friends of the French Creek Conservation Society, Lynn Brookes - North Island Recovery Association and Bill Merilees, Friends of Buttertubs.
- Digital Technology Supercluster Update: Exploring Opportunities for Collaboration. With Paris Gaudet, Capacity Building Programs Lead, Canada’s Digital Technology Supercluster.
- A Vital and Sustainable Island Economy. With George Hanson, President of the Vancouver Island Economic Alliance (VIEA).
- Women and Literacy: What Happens When We Put Women at the Centre of Curriculum? With Samantha Letourneau, Executive Director of Literacy Central Vancouver Island.
- "The Importance of Creating a More Welcoming City for Newcomers" with Jennifer Fowler, Executive Director, Central VI Multicultural Society
- "Medical and Recreational Cannabis in Canada: Potential Impacts of Legalization on Public Health" with Philipe Lucas, Vice-President Patient Services & Research, Tilray
- "Sayshutsun a.k.a. NewCastle Island” with Erralyn Thomas, Councillor, Snuneymuxw First Nations
- "Hot topics in Health & How to Jump into the Coals” with Dr. Paul Hassleback, Medical Health Officer, Island Health