The purpose of the President’s Awards for Outstanding Community Engagement is to recognize excellence in community engagement activities among Vancouver Island Faculty and Staff. The awards are announced on an annual basis at a celebratory event held every fall. These awards publicly recognize faculty and staff at the institution for their efforts to support the University’s core commitment to engaging with the community and region as articulated in our strategic action plan.
Community engagement draws upon capabilities of the University’s employees and students to work collaboratively with community groups and organizations in mutually agreed projects that build collective capacity, improve wellbeing, and produce just and sustainable outcomes in the interests of individuals, communities and the University.
There are six award categories:
Community-university partnership award
- This award is given to recognize a mutually beneficial partnership between an individual or group at Vancouver Island University and an external community (or organization, agency). The work of the partnership should align with the vision and mandate of both partners resulting in new, innovative and measurable impacts to community stakeholders and the VIU community.
Community-engaged scholarship, research and creative activity award
- This award is given to recognize employees at VIU that have engaged in scholarship, research or creative activity with community partners. The activity resulted in the emergence of new knowledge and insights that benefitted both the discipline of the researcher(s) and the needs of the community involved.
Community leadership award
- This award is given to recognize VIU employees that have demonstrated significant and valuable leadership in the community. Their leadership contributions have enhanced the reputation of VIU while furthering significant community priorities.
Community outreach award
- This award is given to recognize VIU employees that have demonstrated excellence in outreach activity within the VIU region. Outreach may include the sharing of knowledge in any media (presentations, workshops, videos etc.) that transcends the walls of the university to benefit society.
Indigenous engagement award
- This award is given to recognize VIU employees that have developed respectful and mutually beneficial relationships with indigenous community partners. The relationship has enabled VIU to deepen its commitment to Truth and Reconciliation and has resulted in transformative learning and growth for the recipient.
International engagement award
- This award is given to recognize VIU employees that have demonstrated excellence in engagement within the international context. Engagement may include the development of mutually beneficial partnerships that result in opportunities for student engagement, research projects that provide training opportunities for VIU students, or outreach such as the sharing of knowledge in any media (presentations, workshops, videos etc.).
- A call for nominations will be announced each March with a deadline of May 31st each year.
- Decisions will be made by a committee comprised of: a) the President, b) the Provost, c) the Associate Vice-President, Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity, d) the Associate Vice-President of University Relations, e) the Director of Aboriginal Education and f) the Dean of International Education.
Criteria for Nominations
- Individuals and organizations (limited to the community-university partnership award) are eligible to apply. Individuals who have previously received a President’s Award are ineligible to apply for 5 years.
- Individuals and organizations who submitted nominations that were unsuccessful in a prior year must clarify within their submission what is new/different about the current year’s nomination package.
The nomination package should contain the following:
PLEASE NOTE: all attachments must be submitted together in one PDF and uploaded to the web form. Supporting materials can be included but must be limited to no more than 10 pages. Hyperlinks to web based materials are encouraged in the supporting materials package.
- A completed nomination form
- One nominating letter from faculty, staff or students, no more than three pages, which includes a narrative description advocating for and making the case for why this nominee’s accomplishments are outstanding relative to others doing community engaged work at VIU, and demonstrating how the nominee(s) meets the criteria for the award.
- A minimum of two supporting letters from faculty, staff, students, community partners, and/or alumni that demonstrate how the nominee meets the criteria for the award. Each letter should be no more than two pages in length.
- A current copy of nominee’s resume, CV or equivalent documentation to provide information about the background of the nominee.
- (Optional) Supporting materials such as media clips, press releases, or articles related to Nominee’s community engaged work may be included and must be limited to no more than 10 pages. Hyperlinks to web based materials are encouraged, when available. Supporting evidence should be referenced in the nomination letter.
- If necessary, the Committee may request further information from the nominee or group before a final decision is made.
Awardees will be recognized for their exemplary work in Community Engagement by:
- Being featured as an awardee at fall recognition event.
- Receiving a framed certificate
- Being featured in the special feature articles and highlights through other VIU communication platforms and external news sources.
Nomination packets should be submitted online no later than 4 pm, May 31, 2019.